Trees and hedges

At West Lindsey District Council we have a dedicated environment officer who deals with tree and hedge matters.

On these pages you can find information on the following:

  • The Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) page includes all information related to TPOs including what they are and their implications, who decides they should go on and how, procedures to carry out work, how to find out if a tree is protected and people to contact. 
  • The trees in conservation areas pages include all information relating to what trees are protected in a conservation area, what you must do if you wish to carry out work and how to find out if a tree is in a conservation area.
  • The trees and planning permission pages explain how trees are considered if a planning application threatens them, what can be done and the processes involved.
  • The high hedges page covers all information relating to high hedges legislation - when you can complain, what to do, what action can be taken against a high hedge and much more.
  • You can access application forms and guidance note to carry out work on a protected tree from the applications, guidance and survey information page.
  • See all the current tree applications.

High hedges

High hedges are a concern for some householders and the aim of this page is to answer the questions commonly associated with this matter.

Tree management

The law protects certain individual trees and groups of trees. Trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or situated within a conservation area are protected under a range of legislation that makes it an offence to carry out any work on those trees without permission from West Lindsey District Council.

Trees in conservation areas

All trees that are in a conservation area, with a stem diameter of 7.5cm or more, measured at 1.5m above ground level (or 10cm if thinning to help the growth of other trees) are protected regardless of tree species.

Tree Preservation Orders

Protected trees are those that have a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) on them, those in conservation areas, or those that have been specifically detailed to be retained or have work restricted in conditions attached to a planning permission.