Personal licence

If you wish to apply to us for a Personal Licence to authorise the sale of alcohol you will need to live in our district and complete the form 'Application for a Personal Licence'. This can be found in the Downloads section of this page, along with 'Guidance for New Personal Licences' which will assist you in making your application.


Applicants will need to provide the following to submit their application:

  • Completed application form (including disclosure of convictions and declaration form)
  • 2 recent, colour passport-sized photographs - one of which is endorsed
  • Certificate of qualification (see useful links box for accredited providers)
  • Certificate of criminal record check within 1 month old (see below)
  • Copy of document(s) which demonstrate entitlement to work in the UK (see application form)
  • The current business licence fee      

Acceptable types of criminal record checks are listed below. Further information can be found in the Guidance for New Personal Licence.   

  • A criminal conviction certificate issued under section 112 of the Police Act 1997,
  • A criminal record certificate issued under section 113A of the Police Act 1997, or
  • The results of a subject access search under section 45 Data Protection Act 2018 from ACRO Criminal Records Office.

Basic criminality checks can be obtained from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), which now provides the service for England and Wales - Request a basic DBS check.

Submit a subject access requests ACRO Criminal Records office.

Updating a Personal Licence

From 1 April 2015 it is no longer necessary to renew a  personal licence. Section 115 of the Licensing Act 2003 has been amended by section 69 of the Deregulation Act 2015, removing the requirement to renew personal licences.

If you require an updated personal licence we can provide this at a cost of £10.50, please send in your old badge and paper counterpart with a new photograph and we will process this for you.

If you already have a personal licence and need to change your name or address on it, you will need to return your badge and paper counterpart to us, along with a cover note with the new details and the current fee of £10.50.

If your personal licence is lost or stolen, you need to request (in writing) a new copy from us along with payment of £10.50. 

Licensing registers are available to view using the link below.

Public Register


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA