Business licences

It is a statutory requirement for certain types of business to hold a licence or certificate of registration, which is issued by the local authority, before they can begin trading.

For details of individual licence requirements use the following links.


Animal movement

In the aftermath of the Foot and Mouth outbreak a rigorous regime of licensing which controls the movement of a range of animals has been introduced.

Caravan and park sites — residential

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 requires local authorities to license sites that have planning permission (or are in the process of acquiring planning permission) to operate as a caravan, mobile home or park home site.

Charitable collections

Any collection of money, or sale of articles, for charitable purposes, which takes place in any street or public place, must be licensed by the district council.

Club premises certificate

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate from the local authority.

Door supervisor

Licences are no longer issued by the local authority. Door supervisors must be licensed by the Security Industry Authority.


The Gambling Act 2005 has replaced most of the existing laws about gambling in Great Britain.

Hackney carriage (taxi)

A hackney carriage is more commonly called a taxi and the council regulates hackney carriages licences.


Any public exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism requires the express written consent of the licensing authority.

Licensing of HMOs

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) comprising of three or more storeys and occupied by five or more persons who form two or more households will require a license from the council.

Personal licence

If you wish to apply for a Personal Licence to authorise the sale of alcohol you will need to complete a number of forms.

Pleasure boats

Licences must be obtained from the local authority for the operation of pleasure boats.

Premises licence

To provide late-night refreshment, regulated entertainment, and sell alcohol in West Lindsey you may need a licence.

Private Hire Operator Licence

A Private Hire Operator Licence is required by any person who runs a business in West Lindsey which involves accepting or inviting bookings for private hire vehicles.

Registration of a food business

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the area so food safety inspections can be carried out.

Scrap metal dealer

Any persons collecting, buying or selling scrap, or operating a motor salvage business in West Lindsey will require a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence from us.

Sex establishment

A licence is needed before a sex establishment can be operated in West Lindsey.

Skin Piercing

Any individual wishing to carry out the activity of acupuncture, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis, semi-permanent skin colouring or tattooing within the district needs to be registered.

Skip operators licence

All skips placed within the highway must be authorised by Lincolnshire Council Council and a licence issued to the skip hire company.

Street trading consent

Street trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street.

Temporary event notices (TENs)

Short term events requiring alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice


To run a zoo in West Lindsey, you need a licence from the council. The licence may be subject conditions to ensure the proper conduct of the zoo.