Charging orders

If the debt owed to the council is over £1000 we can choose to apply for a charging order.

A charging order can only be applied for where the liable party has a beneficial interest in the property, for example is the owner or part owner.

If a charging order is granted it gives the council a charge on the property which means once the property is sold and any mortgage paid off, the Council Tax debt can be claimed from any remaining equity. It may be possible for the council to enforce the sale of the property.