Non-payment and recovery

Problems paying Council Tax

If you are having problems paying your council tax it is important you contact us immediately so that we can try to help you.

The use of enforcement agents

From 6 April 2014 the regulations regarding bailiffs have changed. Bailiffs are now known as Enforcement Agents and the fees they can charge will be due in 3 very distinct stages.

Recovery action

Council tax is mainly governed by The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and these set down the procedures to collect the Council Tax

Attachment of benefit

If you are on benefits and we feel it is appropriate we can apply to the Department of Works and Pensions for amounts to be taken from your Income Support or Pension Credit.

Attachment of earnings

Once a Liability Order has been obtained from Lincoln Magistrates Court, if you are employed, we can attach to your earnings.

Bankruptcy and what it means

If you or your company owe more than £5,000 in Council Tax or Business Rates, and you have been summonsed, we may start bankruptcy or liquidation proceedings against you.

Charging orders

If the debt owed to the council is over £1000 we can choose to apply for a charging order.

Committal to Prison

If you do not pay your council tax, as a last resort, we will apply to the magistrate’s court for a committal summons.