People with disabilities

Guidance notes

Please note, the guidance notes below should be read first before applying.

You can apply online using this form, please note you will need your Council Tax reference.

Alternatively, complete this disability relief application form and return the form to the Council Tax Section.

If there is a person within your home with a disability who needs additional space for their wheelchair, or an extra room to meet their special needs, then your Council Tax bill may be reduced.

If you are entitled to a reduction then your home will be treated as if it were in lower valuation band. For a property in band C the disability reduction would mean that the property would be treated as if it were in band B. Even if your property is in the lowest band, band A, you will still be entitled to a reduction.

In assessing this application the Council will need to be satisfied that:

There is a disabled resident (adult or child) who needs either:

  • Space for a wheelchair to be used inside the home.
  • A room, other than a kitchen or bathroom, which is predominantly used; meeting the needs of the disabled person.
  • An additional kitchen or bathroom.
  • And that the space or room, is essential, or of major importance, to the well being of the disabled resident because of the nature and extent of his or her disability.

Confirmation letter or certificate

It will help in the consideration of this entitlement if the applicant can supply a note from a doctor, or other qualified professional (such as a therapist or social worker) confirming that the disabled resident needs the extra space or room as stated.

If for any reason you are unable to obtain such confirmation easily, then do not delay your application if you believe you are eligible for a reduction. However, it may be necessary to ask for this evidence in support of your application at a later date.

If you require any help in understanding this form, or if you have any queries about Council Tax, please contact the Council Tax Section on 01427 676676.

Severe Mentally Impaired Discount

You can apply online using this form, please note you will need your Council Tax reference.  For more information, please see the download section of the Discounts page.