Rent restrictions

Rent restrictions

If you are:

  • A tenant of a Registered Social Landlord (Housing Association)
  • In a tenancy that began before 1989
  • Renting from a charitable organisation that provides support
  • Living in a caravan, houseboat, mobile home or hostel Living in board and attendance accommodation

Then we must consider whether the rent you pay is a reasonable amount. We are required by law to refer the above cases to the Rent Service. The Rent Service will make a rent determination. This amount will be the maximum amount of Housing benefit we can pay you.

Factors that are taken into consideration when making a rent determination include:

  • The location of your home
  • Whether the property has been adapted (if you have any disabilities)
  • If the size of your home reflects your needs

You can find out the maximum amount of rent that you will receive before you take on a tenancy. You will need to complete a pre-tenancy determination form. On this form you provide all the information about a property the Rent Service needs to make a determination. You will need to get your landlord to sign this.

If you are not in the list above, your rent will not be referred to the Rent Service and you will be considered under the Local Housing Allowance scheme.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall’s Yard
DN21 2NA


Indicates mandatory fields

Was this information helpful?

The form below is to give us feedback about the information on this page. 
If you have a question, or require a reply, please use our general enquiries form 

Was this information helpful?

We use your feedback to improve the quality of this website.

Please do not enter any personal information on this form such as your name, address, email address or any reference numbers - If you have a question, or require a reply, please use our general enquiries form.