Help to pay rent

Housing Benefit can now only be claimed by people of State Pension Age or people living in Supported Accommodation. If you are not in one of these categories please claim help with your rent through Universal Credit immediately.

Housing Benefit is a benefit to help pay rent.  You do not have to be on another benefit to qualify, you can just be on a low income.

You need to be in rented property, and it doesn’t matter whether your landlord is a housing association or a private landlord, you could still get it.

If you have over £16,000 in savings and you are not in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee you will not qualify for Housing Benefit.

If you live in privately rented accommodation (there are exceptions) and you make a claim for Housing Benefit now, your claim will be assessed under the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rules. These rules govern what rental values we take into account when we work out the benefit and how we pay the benefit. 

The rules on how to claim, who can claim, and how it is calculated detailed above are no different within the LHA rules.

Please use this link for more details on Local Housing Allowance (LHA).


Benefit restrictions

Information about deductions to Housing Benefit. In many cases this benefit does not cover the full rent.

How it is worked out

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are means tested financial assistance towards paying your rent and your Council Tax.

Benefit calculator

Online benefit calculator for instant online Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support estimate.

About payments

Information about Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance payments