Discretionary payments

button | Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment
text | Discretionary payments 1

What is Discretionary Housing Payment?

infobox | Discretionary payments

West Lindsey District Council can award a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) only where someone is in receipt of some Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Element and needs extra help to pay their rent shortfall or needs help paying rent in advance to move to a more affordable property.  DHPs are not Housing Benefit, but you must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or Housing element of Universal Credit to be able to claim a DHP.

text | Discretionary payments 1.5

If you are in receipt of Local Council Tax Support, DHPs cannot be awarded to pay your Council Tax shortfall.

DHP’s can be awarded to top up Housing Benefit or the Housing element of Universal Credit , but the total amount we pay cannot be more than the amount of rent you have to pay each week or month.

The amount of the DHP award depends on your individual circumstances, and you must demonstrate that you are suffering from financial hardship due to the shortfall in your Housing Benefit.  The award is intended as a short-term measure to help in difficult circumstances and you should not rely on a DHP as a long term solution to your financial problems.

Once you have made an application for a DHP you may be contacted if any additional information is required to complete your application.

The funding for DHPs comes from central government and is limited each year, so when it has been spent no more awards can be made.

How do I apply for a DHP?

button | Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment
text | Discretionary payments 2

Alternatively you can download the Discretionary Housing Payments Claim form the 'Downloads' section on this page.

contact | Benefits

West Lindsey District Council
Marshall’s Yard
DN21 2NA
United Kingdom