Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

RIDDOR places a legal duty on employers, self-employed people and people in control of premises to report when there has been an accident which caused an injury, an accident that was work-related or the injury is of a type which is reportable.

The reason why such incidents are legally reportable is to enable enforcing authorities (Health and Safety Executive (HSE), Local Authorities and the Office of Rail Regulation) to determine where and how risks arise and whether they need to be investigated.

You must report:

  • work-related accidents to worker and non-workers which cause death;
  • work-related accidents which cause specified injuries to workers;
  • accidents which result in a worker being away from work for more than 7 consecutive days;
  • work-related accidents involving members of the public who are taken from the scene to hospital for treatment;
  • reportable work related illness;
  • reportable dangerous occurrences (where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done);
  • reportable gas incidents.

RIDDOR applies to all work activities but not all incidents are reportable. Full details of what is reportable can be found on the HSE website.

All incidents should be reported to the Incident Contact Centre (ICC) via the online reporting form but there is a telephone service for reporting fatal and major injuries - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm).

Freedom of Information requests

In the first instance you should direct all RIDDOR Freedom of Information requests to the HSE, however, the attached documents show the Health and Safety incidents reported to West Lindsey District Council including RIDDOR reports.

Please be aware that the retention period for adult RIDDOR reports is three years but the retention period for child RIDDOR reports can be up to 21 years (the difference between the child's age and 18 years plus 3 years).

Food, Health and Safety Team

Housing and Environmental Enforcement
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA