Self-build and custom housebuilding

Are you interested in building your own home? If so, did you know that West Lindsey District Council keep a register of individuals and associations looking to acquire serviced plots of land for self-build or custom housebuilding projects.

What is Self-build and Custom-build?

Self-build is where you organise and design the construction of your own home, possibly doing some of the building work yourself.

Custom-build is where you work with a specialist developer and they construct your home for you.

Both self-build and custom-build can be done individually or with others as part of a group.

Who can join the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register?

Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria for entry on the register. Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or older
  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land within West Lindsey for their own self-build and custom housebuilding project

Please also be aware that an administrative charge of £52 is required for entry onto the self-build and custom housebuilding register.

How to Register

If you meet all of the above eligibility criteria then please complete the application form below to register your interest.

button | Self-build and custom housebuilding register — application form
text | Self-build and custom housebuilding 1

The register helps the council to understand how much demand there is for self build and custom house building in West Lindsey. Understanding the demand assists with matching potential plots of land to interested parties.

Being registered however doesn’t guarantee access to a plot, and it is advised that you use traditional means of searching to find land suitable for your project. Once registered we will be able to keep you informed of relevant information and opportunities which may be of interest to you.

Planning and Building Control

Any proposal for self-build or custom housebuilding will require a formal planning application and will be subject to all relevant planning policies. The council has a pre application planning advice service which we encourage you to use if you would like to discuss your self or custom build project.

button | Pre-application advice (service page)
text | Self-build and custom housebuilding 2

Any proposals for self-build or custom housebuilding will also need approval from Building Control who can provide a wide range of advice on:

  • statutory requirements and regulations of building control
  • on-site service and utility provision and obtaining correct certification
  • supporting the project from inception to delivery to make custom build safe
button | Building Control
text | Self-build and custom housebuilding 3

Site Submission

If you are a landowner with extant planning permission for your site, and you would be interested in the provision of Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding opportunities as part of your development proposal, then please complete the questionnaire below.

This will enable us to share provided site information and contact details with those who have a registered interest in such opportunities.

button | Self-build and custom housebuilding — site submission form
text | Self-build and custom housebuilding 4

What happens to your information?

If you want to know more about how West Lindsey District Council Planning use your data, what your rights are and how to contact us if you have any concerns, please read the relevant Privacy Notice below: