Do I need planning permission?

Did you know that you can often undertake some work and extensions to your home, before you require planning permission from the council?

Some minor development is automatically granted planning permission – often referred to as "permitted development". More information about permitted development allowances can be found on the Planning Portal.

West Lindsey District Council provides a service that can assess the work you propose to be carried out, and we can advise you in writing whether we consider your building work requires planning permission from the council, or would otherwise qualify as permitted development.

This service is charged at £45.00.

Please apply using the form attached and send to or post to:

Development Services
West Lindsey District Council
Marshall’s Yard
DN21 2NA


Please note this service is advisory only, and will establish whether the local planning authority considers if its planning permission is required.

The formal way to establish whether works would be lawful is to apply for a lawful development certificate. This requires a formal application, and the onus is placed upon the applicant to provide sufficient and precise information to allow West Lindsey District Council to determine the application.

How Planning use your data

If you want to know more about how West Lindsey District Council Planning use your data, what your rights are and how to contact us if you have any concerns, please read our Planning Privacy Notice.