Bin charge faqs

Why do I have to pay for my bins?

The council will be operating from a reduced budget position in the future and has to make significant savings and therefore can no longer afford to provide this service for free. The bin charging policy has been introduced to encourage residents to take responsibility for the bins provided and to reduce demand for replacement bins.

How much will the charge be for a new or replacement bin?

Please see our current fees and charges.

Due to the current financial situation, the council is under increased pressure to save money. The charges we are introducing will solely cover the cost of the bins and their replacement.

Householders are responsible for looking after their wheelie bins and residents are being encouraged to take steps to keep them safe.  If your wheelie bin is lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair a charge may be made for a replacement.

What is the charge actually covering?

The charge is for the costs of the bins and delivery.  It does not cover the sale of the bins to you and the bins remain the property of the council.

Is the council making money by charging for wheeled bins?

The council is not making money by charging for wheeled bins, it is only covering its costs. In 2011 the council issued over 3,000 waste bins free of charge, unfortunately the council can no longer afford to provide this service free of charge. 

Can I avoid the admin charge by collecting my new bin from the depot?

No, waste bins are available by delivery only. 

My bin has been stolen, can you send me another one out?

Please check that it hasn’t been left at a neighbour’s property or further down the street.

We make a charge to replace stolen bins to encourage residents to take responsibility for their bins and to bring them in after they have been emptied.

We can issue you with one replacement bin free of charge if your bin goes missing on the day of your collection, as long as you have not made a similar claim in the last 3 years.  If you believe that your bin has been stolen, you will need to report this to the Police by ringing 101.  Once the Police have provided you with an incident number, you should contact our Customer Services Department on 01427 676676 or use the general enquiries form.

How am I supposed to stop my bins being stolen?

There are several things you can do to help prevent this occurring:  

  • Use a permanent marker to clearly mark your address on your bin 
  • Do not place your bin out for collection the night before as this means more time for it to go missing. Bins should be placed outside for collection before 7:00am
  • Try and ensure that your bin is brought back in as soon as possible after the collection. Your neighbour may be able to help with this

How can I pay for my bins? 

Payment may be made at the Guildhall in Gainsborough in advance of ordering your additional or replacement bins.  Payment by card can be done over the telephone by calling our Customer Services Department on 01427 676676.

Can I buy my own bins from elsewhere?

Residents can provide their own wheeled bins, providing they meet the EN840 standard and they match council bin specification (e.g. colours and current sizes for each type of bin and include the West Lindsey logo).  

What happens if I don’t pay for bins?

The council has a legal requirement under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA) to collect household waste. Section 46 says that the local authority can define the kind of bin to be used and require the occupier to pay for it.

Residents who decline to pay for the supply of a waste bin may be served with a Section 46 notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and or other relevant legislation. The notice will require the provision by the householder of the necessary bins for their waste. Failure to comply with this notice may lead to the issuing of a fixed penalty notice and or prosecution by the council, if the resident puts rubbish out in an unauthorised bin.

Residents may prefer to dispose of their rubbish themselves and can take their rubbish to one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres, rather than pay for a replacement bin. There is a full list of locations on the Household Waste Recycling Centres page.

What happens if my bin is damaged by the collection crew or falls into the back of the collection wagon?

If a bin is damaged and the fault lies with the council’s collection crew, this will be recorded and a new bin will be delivered free of charge.  A note will be posted through your letter box to advise you this has happened.  This excludes any damage caused by overfilling the bin, placing inappropriate items in it or reasonable wear and tear.

I’ve moved house and there are no bins at my new address, do I have to pay for my bins?

Yes, you will have to pay. If you rent your house from a private or social landlord you should approach them to pay for your bins. You may need to read your tenancy agreement to see if this is mentioned.

How will my bins be delivered?

In order to make your bins as secure as possible when delivered, you can specify whereabouts on your property you would like the bins to be left.

What happens if I only need a replacement lid or wheels?

Unless the damage has been done by our collection crews and reported, please contact Customer Services using the general enquiries form to report your damaged bin. We will attempt to repair the lid and/or wheels, however, in the event of this not being possible due to more serious damage having been caused to the bin, we will contact you and you will then be required to pay the replacement charge should you wish to replace your bin.

Can I take the bins with me if I move house?

If you move house, the bins will need to remain at the property you are moving from.  You should check on the property you are moving to and ensure bins are in place if they are not you should discuss this with your new landlord or seller of the property.

Does the charge apply to all additional and replacement bin requests?

Yes. The charge applies to black refuse bins, garden waste bins and recycling bins.  The charge will apply to each replacement bin which you request. 

I need a bin but cannot pay right now, what shall I do?

Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide a replacement or additional bin before payment has been received and you will need to dispose your waste legally in the interim.

Can I pay in part payments?

Unfortunately, we cannot take part payment and a bin can only be delivered once the full payment has been received.

Will the crews return the bins after collection to the property because that is when the bins go missing?

All collection crews must return bins after emptying to the place the bin was collected from. Please ensure that you clearly number your bins to avoid this going missing and to help both you and crews to identify which address the bin ‘belongs’ to.

What if I have seen my neighbour take my bin into their property?

You must try to retrieve your bin by firstly speaking to your neighbour and if unsuccessful contact the Police because this is classed as theft (under the Theft Act which the Police, and not the council, enforce).

My bin has split will I still have to pay for a bin?

Yes, you will still be required to pay the charge for the bin, please ensure that you are not overfilling your bin resulting in this splitting.

I am not willing to purchase a bin and will be putting out black bags on collection day - will these be collected?

This waste will not be collected by the crews and this may lead to prosecution and this waste will be investigated by our staff.

You will be served with a Section 46 notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and or other relevant legislation. The notice will require the provision by the householder of the necessary bins for their waste.

Failure to comply with this notice may lead to the issuing of a fixed penalty notice and or prosecution by the council.

Refuse, especially food waste, placed out in sacks is much more likely to attract rats and dumping of rubbish, which will affect your neighbours as well as you.