Custom/Self Build Scheme

The council keeps a register of individuals and associations who wish to acquire serviced plots of land for self build or custom build housing projects. You can register your interest using the link below.

Please be aware that an administrative charge of £50 is required for entry onto the self-build and custom house building register.

Custom/Self Build Scheme Questionnaire 

The register helps the council to understand how much demand there is for self build and custom house building in the district of West Lindsey. Understanding the demand assists with matching potential plots of land to interested parties. Being registered however doesn’t guarantee access to a plot and it is advised that you use traditional means of searching to find land suitable for your project. Once registered we will be able to keep you informed of relevant information and opportunities which may be of interest to you.

What is self build and custom build housing?

Self build is where you organise and design the construction of your own home and possibly consider doing some of the building work yourself.

Custom build is where you work with a specialist developer and they construct your home for you.

Both these can be carried out individually or as part of a group. 

Any proposal for self build or custom build housing will require a formal planning application and will be subject to all relevant planning policies. The council has a pre application planning advice service which we would encourage you to use if you would like to discuss your self or custom build project.

Pre Application Advice    

Any proposals for self-build or custom-build housing will also need approval from Building Control who can provide a wide range of advice on:

  • Statutory requirements and regulations of building control
  • On-site service and utility provision and obtaining correct certification
  • Supporting the project from inception to delivery to make custom build safe and compliant

Building Control

How Planning use your data

If you want to know more about how West Lindsey District Council Planning use your data, what your rights are and how to contact us if you have any concerns, please read our Planning Privacy Notice.