Competent persons scheme

Many jobs in the home need to be notified to and approved by the Local Authority Building Control unless carried out by an installer who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme

Competent person schemes (CPS) were introduced by the Government to allow registered individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.

The principles of self-certification are based on giving people who are competent in their field the ability to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations without the need to submit a building notice and this incurring local authority inspections or fees. It is hoped that moving towards self-certification will significantly enhance compliance with the requirements of the Building Regulations, reduce costs for firms joining recognised schemes, and promote training and competence within the industry. It should also help tackle the problem of ‘cowboy builders’, and assist local authorities with enforcement of the Building Regulations.

Please see below for examples of work that you do not need to notify to the local authority before starting. As long as the installer is a certified member of the appropriate competent person scheme

  • new installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • new installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • installation of a new bathroom or kitchen if existing electrics or
  • plumbing are altered or if new electrics or plumbing are installed
  • installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • installation of additional radiators to an existing heating system
  • new electrical installations in bathrooms, kitchens and outdoors
  • replacement window and door units
  • replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs
If in doubt please contact building control to clarify if an application is required using the contact details below.

Building Control

West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA