Anti-social behaviour

What do we class as Anti-Social Behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour is defined as ‘conduct by an individual or group that has caused or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to any person’.

Anti-social behaviour includes, but is not restricted to any of the following:

  • Abandoned vehicles (not stolen)
  • Graffiti
  • Rowdy or inconsiderate behaviour
  • Neighbour disputes
  • Littering
  • Dog fouling
  • Fly tipping
  • Fly poster
We have Anti-Social Behaviour Officers who are able to provide advice and support. They work with partners including the Police to find solutions to local issues.

What do we not class as Anti-Social Behaviour?

You will need to contact the Police (non-emergency No: 101) if you are experiencing or have witnessed the following:

  • Criminal Acts (Violence/Theft/Burglary)
  • Drug Dealing/Paraphernalia
  • Dangerous dogs
  • Trespass
  • Nuisance calls
  • Prostitution-Related activity
  • Begging/Vagrancy
  • Fireworks
  • Vehicle nuisance/Inappropriate use (Speeding/Joy Riding/Obstructing Access)

You will need to contact the Environmental Protection team if you are experiencing or have witnessed the following:

  • Statutory Nuisance:
    • Noise from domestic or commercial premises (loud music/TV; noisy dogs and other animals; DIY; noise from machinery etc)
    • Artificial light (security lights not street lights) 
    • Odours/Smoke from garden bonfires etc
  • Public health:
    • vermin (rats & mice)
    • overgrown/rubbish in gardens

What do we do to tackle and reduce anti-social behaviour?

We take anti-social behaviour very seriously and know how it can impact on local communities and people’s lives. Along with having dedicated Anti-Social Behaviour Officers we also support other activities and initiatives to tackle anti-social behaviour and keep our communities safe.

Some of the things we do include:

  • CCTV monitoring
  • Restorative Justice
  • Partnership working
  • Fixed penalty notices
  • Community Protection Notices
  • Acceptable Behaviour Agreements

How to report anti-social behaviour

To help us resolve incidents of anti-social behaviour we may need the following from you:

  • Dates and times of incidents
  • Descriptions of offenders or vehicles
  • Reference numbers from other organisations such as the Police
  • Details of other witnesses or people suffering the same anti-social behaviour

You can report anti-social behaviour using our online anti-social behaviour reporting form.

Community Trigger

The Community Trigger is a process which allows members of the public to ask their local Community Safety Partnership to review responses to incidents of anti-social behaviour. It has been designed to make sure agencies such as the police, local councils and housing providers work together to try to resolve complaints of anti-social behaviour.

If you have complained about 3 incidents of the same anti-social behaviour within a 6 month period and you do not feel that is has been dealt with effectively, you can request a Community Trigger. The trigger can be used by both individuals and businesses.

It won’t replace an organisations own complains procedures and you still have the opportunity to complain to the Ombudsman or Independent Police Complaints Commission if you are unhappy about the service you have received from an individual officer or service.

You can request a Community Trigger using our online Community Trigger reporting form.