The legislation around homelessness has changed with the introduction of the Homelessness Reduction Act (HRA 2017) from April 2018.

Guidance explaining the new homelessness legislation changes can be found in fact sheets produced by the Government and in further detail in the new Homelessness Code of Guidance which sets out what Local Authorities in England must follow to deliver the required homelessness services.

If you are homeless now, or are threatened with being made homeless within the next 56 days please contact the Home Choices team for advice as soon as possible. If you wish to be considered for the housing register please apply online on our Home Choices website.

They may also be able to help with problems such as harassment and illegal eviction or domestic violence and can put you in touch with other agencies that offer support and advice.

We have a Deposit Guarantee Scheme for those who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to help finance a new rental property. The council are trying to improve access to the private rented sector by working with landlords and tenants. If you need more information please contact the Home Choices team.

If you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage, please contact the Home Choices team to discuss or alternatively you can speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau and Shelter can provide advice to help prevent problems getting out of hand.

The Home Choices team can also help people who are rough sleeping in West Lindsey during the freezing weather.

Out Of Hours Service

If you require assistance when the council is closed you can contact this team on 01427 613960.

EDAN Lincs (formerly West Lincolnshire Domestic Abuse Service) provide support and assistance to women, men and children suffering, or fleeing from domestic abuse. Further information can be found on the EDAN Lincs website.

If you've been a member of the armed forces there is a range of organisations that can offer help and support. The Lincolnshire Armed Forces Covenant is a local arrangement to ensure that those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly.

Selected authorities must refer people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to local authorities. Find out more on how to do this and to help on our Duty to Refer webpage.

If you've been in the care of the local authority there are a range of services available to help you. This can include help to get accommodation and support. 

For more information about what assistance is available to you and details of who to contact for further advice when leaving care:

If you're living in local authority care, or you were in the past, you may be entitled to additional priority for housing through West Lindsey District Council. 

If you've been in care and are about to become homeless or are homeless and you need more help please contact the Home Choices team.

If you're aged between 16 and 18 and you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, an early help assessment will be completed with by Home Choices and passed to the Early Help Team with Children’s Services.  This assessment will include discussing your circumstances and any support needs. This will help us to prevent you becoming homeless and assist you to return home where this is suitable.

If you're in prison or youth detention and will have no home on release, we can assess your needs and we will work with you and any professionals helping you to find a home.

We can offer advice on a range of issues. It's important for you to get in touch as soon as possible to give time for an assessment so that housing options can be explored and accommodation found.  Referrals can be submitted by the prison resettlement team via our Duty to Refer webpage.

If you're in hospital and will be unable to return home because of your ill health it may be possible for your home to be adapted to help you to stay there. Please contact Wellbeing Lincs who may be able to assist.

If you have no place to return to when you're discharged from hospital Home Choices can assess your housing and support needs and work with you, and any professionals, to ensure accommodation is available for you when you are well enough to leave hospital.

It's important to make contact as soon as possible to allow time for assessments to be completed and accommodation to be identified. Please contact us on 01427 676676 or ask a professional to enter your details using the link on our Duty to Refer webpage.

Equipment and adaptations 

If you're struggling to live in your home because of an injury or long term illness, equipment and adaptations in your home could help you to live in your own home independently.

Wellbeing Lincs may be able to assist with small adaptations should you need them. 

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant if you're disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example: 

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - e.g. stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Find out more about Disabled Facilities Grants or call 01427 676676.

If you feel you need to move because your home isn't suitable any more because of your health issues you can register for a property within the social sector via West Lindsey Home Choice.