Our homelessness service provides advice and assistance to all eligible households who are either homeless or imminently threatened with homelessness.
A formal application is taken and thoroughly investigated before the council’s legal duty to assist is determined. In each case the following have to be considered:
- Eligibility – are you entitled to help from the council, this determined by legislation including those subject to immigration control.
- Actual Homelessness – is there anywhere that is available and suitable for you to occupy
- Priority Need – this is a test of vulnerability, consideration may be given to a combination of factors
- Intentionality – a deliberate act or failure to act that led to you losing your home
- Local Connection – are you specifically linked to West Lindsey, we will take into account current/previous residency inc immediate family, or other special circumstance
Each of the above affect the type of assistance the Authority must legally provide, ranging from actually providing accommodation through to assistance to enable households to access accommodation for themselves.
Depending on your circumstances the council may ensure accommodation is available to you whilst the investigation is undertaken.
Please download the Homeless? - What you can expect from West Lindsey District Council guide, for further information on what you can expect from West Lindsey District Council, when you make a Homelessness Application.
We urge you to contact us as soon as possible for advice and assistance. We operate a 24hr service, so please contact us at the Gainsborough or Market Rasen Office during opening hours or if you find yourself in an emergency situation, with nowhere to stay, outside these times please contact our out of hours service on 01427 613960.