SpeakIT Plus
Council Tax Banding Appeal

Council Tax Banding Appeal

You can appeal against the council tax valuation band if:

  • The value of your property has gone up because of building works done (changes such as these only come into effect when the property changes hands)
  • The value of your property has gone down because of demolition of part of the home, or any other physical change to the property’s location
  • Part of the property either starts or stops being used to carry out a business

You can also appeal within 6 months of:

  • Moving home or having to pay council tax for the first time at your address
  • A change is made to the band by the Listing Officer

Any appeals regarding the council tax valuation band should be made to:

The Listing Officer
Valuation Office Agency
Queensgate House
12 Silver Street

Telephone: 03000 501501
Website: http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/index.html

You should note that whilst any appeal is being considered you must pay the council tax based on the present valuation band until the Listing Officer decides whether or not to change the band of the property.

Was this information helpful?
Was this information helpful?