The government regulations state that in the majority of circumstances when you have an adult over 18 living with you who is not your partner, a deduction is to be made from your benefit entitlement.

This deduction, called a ‘non-dependent deduction’, is made as the rules expect that the other adults, usually adult sons or daughters or other relatives, will help you pay towards the rent and or council tax.

The amount of the deduction depends on the circumstances of the non dependent(s) and is set by the government.

If either you or your partner are registered blind, receive either Attendance Allowance or the Care component of Disability Living Allowance there is no non-dependent deduction.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall’s Yard
DN21 2NA