Backdating a Claim

Backdating a Claim

You can claim Housing Benefit for a past period – this is called backdating.  Please fill in the appropriate section of the Benefit Claim Form or electronic claim.

A claim can only be backdated for maximum of 26 weeks from the date of your claim if you are a claimant who is working age - pension age customers will automatically have a 13 week backdate if they qualify.    

In order for a claim to be backdated the Benefits Team must believe that:

  • You have shown good cause and have a good reason for not claiming earlier and
  • That good reason existed continuously during the time period for which you are asking for the claim to be backdated

You have to prove “good cause” but we must take account of all the facts of your case.

Some examples of when you may have “good cause” are:

  • If you did not immediately claim benefit after leaving hospital 
  • If you were ill and had no-one to make a claim on your behalf 
  • If you did not understand that you could claim benefit perhaps because of age, inexperience or language difficulties. 
  • If you have suffered a recent family bereavement.

What happens when a backdated claim is made?

Your claim will be considered by a Benefits Officer. The more information and evidence you give in support of your claim the quicker a decision can be made.

You will be sent a letter telling you of our decision. If we have decided that you have not shown “good cause” and that we cannot backdate your claim, the reasons for this will be explained in our letter.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall’s Yard
DN21 2NA


Indicates mandatory fields

Was this information helpful?

The form below is to give us feedback about the information on this page. 
If you have a question, or require a reply, please use our general enquiries form 

Was this information helpful?

We use your feedback to improve the quality of this website.

Please do not enter any personal information on this form such as your name, address, email address or any reference numbers - If you have a question, or require a reply, please use our general enquiries form.