Benefit enquiries

We aim on our website to create easy to understand information that answers your enquiries.

This area has been created for the more common areas of enquiries in regard to both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

We hope you find the information you are looking for here.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall’s Yard
DN21 2NA


  • Appeals and disputesYou have 1 month from the date of the decision letter to ask us to look at the decision again or to appeal against it.
  • Backdating a ClaimIf there has been a reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Support you can ask for your claim to be 'backdated'.
  • Overpaid Housing Benefit and excess Council Tax SupportAn overpayment is an amount of Benefit or Support that has been paid to a claimant when they were not entitled to have it.
  • Entitlement letters explainedIt is important that you read your benefit letter (Benefit Decision Notice) carefully.