The register of electors
The register of electors is a list of the names and addresses of everyone in West Lindsey who is registered to vote. If you do not register then you cannot exercise your democratic right to vote. It is also much harder to obtain credit if you are not included on the register.
It is now possible to change your details on the register e.g. if you move house during the year. This means that you don’t have to wait until the annual canvass. You can do this by visiting Gov.uk/Register to vote.
There are two registers
Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).
The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified by law, such as:
- Detecting crime (eg fraud)
- Calling people for jury service
- Checking credit applications
The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for the elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.
You can request your details are not included in the open register when registering to vote.
Removing your details from the open register can be done during the annual canvass or by emailing email@example.com
Inspecting the register of electors
The register of electors is available for inspection at the Guildhall, Marshall’s Yard, Gainsborough. Anyone can check that their name has been included or if they wish to make an objection to any entry on the register.
In accordance with the Representation of the People (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2002, the following rules apply to persons inspecting the register:
- The register is open to public inspection, under supervision.
- Extracts from the register may be recorded only by making hand written notes. Photocopying or electronic recording are not permitted by law.
- Information taken from the register must not be used for direct marketing purposes (as per section 11(3) of the Data Protection Act 1998), unless the information has been published in the edited version of the register.
- Anyone who fails to observe these conditions is committing a criminal offence. The penalty is a find of up to £5000.
Purchase of the open register
Only the open version of the register is available for general sale. It can be purchased in its entirety or in part and can be used for any purpose. Prices are calculated as follows:-
- In paper form - £10 admin fee plus £5 per 1000 entries in the Register
- In data form - £20 admin fee plus £1.50 per 1000 entries in the Register
Application for copies of the register should be made to the electoral services section
Please use this Electorate figures link to view details from the new register published on 1 December 2015.