Licensing Policy

Licensing Policy

The Licensing Act 2003 came into force on 24 November 2005, all pre 24 November liquor and entertainment licenses have been replaced by a single “Premises Licence”. Where alcohol is to be sold, it is also necessary for someone to hold a “Personal Licence” to authorise the sale. There is also a new “Club Licence” and a streamlined process for small short-term events, called a “Temporary Event Notice”.

Under the Act, licences are required for any of the following functions (with some exceptions):

  • Retail sale of alcohol
  • Supplying hot food and drink after 11pm
  • Dancing
  • Performing live music
  • Providing facilities for making music or dancing
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling events

West Lindsey District Council are the “Licensing Authority” dealing with all licensing functions relating to the above-mentioned activities. 

As part of the changeover, the council had to prepare a “Licensing Policy”, which explains the factors that the council consider when examining applications for licences. This policy also explains  the aims of the council in relation to licensing and must at all times have regard to four main objectives as defined by the 2003 Act.

The four main licensing objectives, which have equal importance, are as follows:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

In addition, regard has been given to the issues of the promotion of tourism and sustainability.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA


Indicates mandatory fields

Was this information helpful?

The form below is to give us feedback about the information on this page. 
If you have a question, or require a reply, please use our general enquiries form 

Was this information helpful?

We use your feedback to improve the quality of this website.

Please do not enter any personal information on this form such as your name, address, email address or any reference numbers - If you have a question, or require a reply, please use our general enquiries form.