Temporary event notices (TEN's)

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Licence summary

For licensing short term events requiring alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Recent changes to the system of giving TEN’s have been created by virtue of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 which came into effect on 25 April 2012.

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event you must give either a standard TEN to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event or there is limited provision to give a late TEN no later than 5 working days but no earlier than 9 working days before the event.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the police and environmental health on the same day that the notification is given to the licensing authority, details of responsible authority addresses are on the application form.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five standard TEN’s including two late TEN’s per calendar year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of fifty standard TEN’s including 10 late TEN’s per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours (7 days) with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

A maximum of 15 TEN’s may be given in respect of any particular premises (but this is subject to a maximum aggregate duration of 21 days).

You can apply online here.

Eligibility Criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in the notice produced and the notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • If alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user’s authority
  • A statement relating to certain matters
  • Any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • Details of the licensable activities
  • The event period
  • The times when during that period the activities will take place
  • The maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • Any other required matters

Regulation Summary

Licensing Act 2003

Application Evaluation Process

Two copies of the TEN must be given in writing to West Lindsey District Council at least 10 days before the event (excluding weekends and bank holidays).

The premises user must also give a copy of the notice in writing to Lincolnshire Police:

Lincolnshire Police Alcohol Licensing Team
Myle Cross Centre
Macaulay Drive

All applications

The Chief Police Officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives can serve an objection notice on West Lindsey District Council and the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the TEN.

West Lindsey District Council must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. We may issue a counter notice if we consider it necessary for the promotion of a crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by West Lindsey District Council if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.


A fee of £21.00 for each TEN is payable upon application.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 48 hours.

How to Apply

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Or use the form in the Downloads section to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details found below.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK,  Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the  UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

If West Lindsey District Council decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the Chief Police Officer of Lincolnshire Police can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates’ Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade Associations

National Outdoor Events Association (NOEA)
Society of Event Organisers (SEO)


Licensing registers are available to view using the link below.

Public Register


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA

Email:  licensing@west-lindsey.gov.uk