Street trading - Illegal

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food such as burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other things such as household items.

Food traders must be registered with your local Environmental Health Food Team.

The council only regulates street trading on the A158 and the A57 where these two roads pass through the District. If you wish to trade on either of these two roads you must apply to the District Council for a Street Trading Consent. For safety reasons trading is prohibited along the whole length of the Lincoln Bypass.

A street trading consent is not required for trading on any other streets in the district, but the advice of the Lincolnshire Police and the highway authority (Lincolnshire County Council) should be sought before trading commences in any particular location.

If it is suspected that trading is taking place in a location on the A57 or A158 without a street trading permit, or at any location on the Lincoln Bypass, please contact our licensing team.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals

If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact us, using the details above. The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the council’s Planning office.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA