Street trading consent

Street trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food such as burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other things such as household items.

Food traders must be registered with your local Environmental Health Food Team.

West Lindsey District Council only regulates street trading on the A158 and the A57, where they pass through our district. To trade at either location you will need to contact us to see if there is availability and then apply for street trading consent. For safety reasons trading is prohibited along the whole length of the Lincoln Bypass.

Consent is not required for trading on any other streets in West Lindsey, but the advice of Lincolnshire Police and the highway authority (Lincolnshire County Council) should be sought before trading commences in any particular location.

You do not need a street trading consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals

If you plan to trade elsewhere you will need permission from the landowner and should get the relevant insurance. The landowner may also need planning permission so you are advised to contact our Planning team. If you wish to trade on land owned by West Lindsey District Council please contact our Property and Assets team.

If it is suspected that trading is taking place in a location on the A57 or A158 without street trading consent, or at any location on the Lincoln Bypass, please contact our licensing team on the following details.

Licensing registers are available to view using the link below.

Public Register


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA