Scrap metal dealer

Licence Summary

Any persons collecting, buying or selling scrap, or operating a motor salvage business in West Lindsey will require a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence from us. There is a charge for this licence.

There are two types of licence:

  • A site licence - to operate a site and collect any scrap relevant to that site
  • A collector’s licence - to collect scrap within the area of the council which issued it. If you want to collect in more than one council area then you will need to apply for a collector’s licence from each one

It is not possible to hold more than one licence in any single council area. Licences last for three years.

Please note these new licences do not replace the Waste Carrier’s Licence. To collect scrap in West Lindsey you will be required to hold a licence issued by the relevant council and a Waste Carriers Licence issued by the Environment Agency. For more information on this, or to register call 03708 506506 or check out the Environment Agency website.

Eligibility Criteria

We must be satisfied that the applicant is a suitable person to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer. We will consider any relevant information, in particular whether the applicant or any site manager has been:

  • convicted of any relevant offence or subject of any relevant enforcement action
  • subject to any previous refusal of an application for the issue or renewal of a scrap metal licence or a relevant environmental permit or registration, or has had any previous scrap metal licence revoked
  • or whether the applicant has demonstrated that there will be in place adequate procedures to ensure that the provisions of this Act are complied with

Applicants will also need to submit a basic criminal record disclosure issued no earlier than three months from the date of application. Any persons who carry on business as a scrap metal dealer without a licence may be liable on conviction to a maximum fine of £5,000.

Dealers will be allowed to operate in this way until 1 December by which time we will have considered your new application and, if applicants are judged to be suitable to operate a scrap metal business, we will issue a full licence document.

You will need to confirm whether or not you have the correct planning permission. Lincolnshire County Council is responsible for planning permissions involving waste disposal sites, visit Lincolnshire County Council's Planning Application pages for more information.

Regulation Summary

Application Evaluation Process

For site licences we need to know the name of the company, partnership or person who will hold the licence as well as details of any directors or partners including their home address. We need the address of each site in our district which is to be licensed, and details of each site manager including their home address. For collectors licences we need to know the name of the company, partnership, or person who will hold the licence, including the place where you live. These details are required by law or to facilitate checks on the applicant or so that we may contact you if there are any problems.

The applicant and every person listed on the application form must submit a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland. You can apply for this certificate here.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. This is because we need to make enquiries as to the suitability of applicants, including checking with the police. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance using the details below.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA