Private hire vehicle (Minicab)

To license a private hire vehicle you will also need a private hire operators licence.

A private hire vehicle is more commonly known as a minicab. Private hire vehicles can only be pre-booked, they CANNOT be flagged down in the street or sit on a taxi rank. In West Lindsey, licensed private hire vehicles must display their plate on the rear of the vehicle. This will be yellow in colour and give the vehicle’s details as well as how many passengers can be carried in it and the expiry date of the vehicle licence. A private hire vehicle will NOT have a roof sign or meter. The customer fare rates are NOT set by West Lindsey District Council and there will be a visible sign in the vehicle stating this, so it is advised to agree the fare before the journey starts.

As a licensed vehicle, a minicab can only be driven by someone who holds a valid hackney carriage / private hire driver's licence issued by West Lindsey District Council. The conditions that private hire vehicle licence proprietors must adhere to can be found in the Downloads section.

Licensing registers are available to view by prior arrangement at the council offices.

To report any problems with licensed drivers, vehicles or operators please provide details of your complaint in writing to the licensing team, using the contact details below. Please include any licence numbers or company names to help us look into your concerns.

How to apply

To license a vehicle as a minicab please e-mail us (details at the end of this page) to: check that the vehicle is suitable, obtain a plate number and advise us when the plate is required for (ideally we need 1 week’s notice). Once you have been assigned a plate number you can book the vehicle in for a ‘taxi test’ MOT at one of our authorised garages (this list can be found on the last page of our application form in the Downloads section). We will then have the plate ready for you to collect on this day from the Guildhall.

To collect your plate you will need:

  • Application form (available from the Downloads section)
  • Pink compliance certificate from the MOT
  • Vehicle registration document (new keeper slip acceptable if the vehicle has just been purchased)
  • Insurance document
  • The current business licence fee

The paper licence will be processed and sent out by post within the next 14 days.

If a plate is made and not collected you will be contacted and further failure to collect will result in the plate being destroyed and you being charged the fee of a ‘Replacement Vehicle Plate - plate only

*Note - once licensed, a minicab is always a minicab until the licence expires, is surrendered or is suspended/revoked*

Transferring a vehicle

If the vehicle is sold or transferred to someone who will not be using the vehicle as a minicab, you should notify us in writing that you wish to surrender the licence and return the plate.

If the vehicle is sold or transferred to someone who will still be using the vehicle as a minicab, you must notify us in writing the name/address/contact number of the new proprietor, from what date the vehicle is their responsibility and the vehicle details. The new proprietor must also notify us of the above in writing, provide us with an insurance document for the vehicle and pay the ‘Transfer of Ownership of Vehicle Licence’ fee.

Wheelchair accessible vehicles

To view the list of companies with wheelchair accessible vehicles please see our Wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs) page.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA