Riding establishment

Riding establishment

From 1st October 2018 The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 comes into effect.
You can read more here at www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/486/contents/made.
Licenses for the following activities will be needed when carried out as a business*:-

  • Selling Animals as Pets
  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding of cats or dogs which means: Cat boarding, Kennel boarding for dogs, Home boarding for dogs and Day care boarding for dogs
  • Hiring out horses for riding or instruction in riding
  • Breeding dogs
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition.

Minimum standards specific to the activity being carried out will need to be met prior to a licence being issued. Where higher standards are met, a longer term licence will be issued which will save licensing fees for applicants who achieve and maintain high standards.
The minimum term of a licence will be 1 year. Where Higher Standards are achieved a 2 or 3 year licence will be granted.
See the guidance on the standards to be achieved for each activity and on the ‘business test’.
* A Business test is used to assess whether a licence is required.


West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA

Email:  licensing@west-lindsey.gov.uk