Animal boarding establishment

Animal boarding establishment

From 1st October 2018 The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 comes into effect.
You can read more here at
Licenses for the following activities will be needed when carried out as a business*:-

  • Selling Animals as Pets
  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding of cats or dogs which means: Cat boarding, Kennel boarding for dogs, Home boarding for dogs and Day care boarding for dogs
  • Hiring out horses for riding or instruction in riding
  • Breeding dogs
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition.
Minimum standards specific to the activity being carried out will need to be met prior to a licence being issued. Where higher standards are met, a longer term licence will be issued which will save licensing fees for applicants who achieve and maintain high standards.
The minimum term of a licence will be 1 year. Where Higher Standards are achieved a 2 or 3 year licence will be granted.
See the guidance on the standards to be achieved for each activity and on the ‘business test’.
* A Business test is used to assess whether a licence is required.



West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA