In light of guidance provided by both Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic England that the council needs to demonstrate its commitment to heritage regeneration through both policy and practice, it is proposed that the remit of the existing Gainsborough Shop Front Improvement Scheme be expanded to the market towns of Market Rasen and Caistor so that it may also consider providing grant assistance to tenanted or empty shops located within those eligible areas that may be in need of renewal and physical repair and that may have a historic and conservation interest and value.
It is the ambition of West Lindsey District Council to transform the heart of our town centres through heritage-led regeneration and it is important that this approach is mirrored within any town centre initiatives. The Shop Front Improvement Scheme will complement this work by addressing the much needed restoration of our existing town centres.
This Scheme will provide a one-off discretionary financial contribution to eligible individuals or businesses to cover up to 75% (to a maximum value of £15,000) towards the total costs of physical improvements works and enhancements to the premises.
The Shop Front Improvement Scheme is available to both owners of vacant units and existing or prospective tenants and that are located within the following locations:
- Gainsborough: Lord Street, Market Place, Market Street and Silver Street
- Market Rasen: Market Place
- Caistor: Market Place
As funding is limited, for the initial 12 months, eligible projects for the market towns of Market Rasen and Caistor will be restricted to the Market Place area only.
The following works may be considered eligible for support:
- new shop fronts
- repair and reinstatement of any part of a shop front fixture that is visible from the street
- re-painting of shop fronts in suitable colours
- signage and advertisements
- professional fees (up to 10% of the total project cost)
The scheme will not fund:
- general repair and maintenance work where this is not coupled with other improvements
- planning and statutory fees
- funding will not be awarded retrospectively for costs incurred or projects/works that have already started
To register your interest in the Scheme please complete and return the Enquiry and Eligibility Form to the Growth Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If the project meets the eligibility criteria you will be then invited to submit a full application form.
West Lindsey District Council
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard