Registration of a food business

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the area so they we can visit them when we need to.  The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

You can register your food business online here or make online changes to your food business registration here or download copies of the Food Business forms from the Downloads section.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business, you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.  Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately.  If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises have to be registered.  However, certain premises are required to be approved rather than registered.  If you are unsure whether any aspect of your food operations would require your establishment to be approved then you should contact the Public Protection Services at West Lindsey for guidance.

You can apply for approval online or make changes to your approval online.

How do I register?

By filling in the registration form.  Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge.  The registration form can be completed online or sent to our address.  If the form is sent to the wrong address, your application will not take effect until it is received at the proper place.

You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested.  Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open. 

If you have any questions, we will be pleased to help you.  It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details on our register.  A register of name of food business operator, name and address of food business and the type of business carried on, will be open to inspection by the general public.

What about changes?

Once you have registered with us, you need to notify us if there are any significant changes, or closure e.g. a change of food business operator, a change of activities carried out in relation to food, the closure of an establishment etc.  Such notifications should be made before changes occur, and in any event no later than 28 days after the change has occurred.  Notification of a change to the operator of a food business establishment should be made by the new food business operator.

Food, Health and Safety Team

Housing and Environmental Enforcement
Guildhall, Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA