accordion | Homelessness landing page

The council's legal responsibilities

The legislation around homelessness has changed with the introduction of the Homelessness Reduction Act (HRA 2017) from April 2018.

Guidance explaining the new homelessness legislation changes can be found in fact sheets produced by the Government and in further detail in the new Homelessness Code of Guidance which sets out what Local Authorities in England must follow to deliver the required homelessness services.

What to do if you're homeless or facing homelessness?

If you are homeless now or are threatened with being made homeless within the next 56 days, please contact the Home Choices team for advice as soon as possible. If you wish to be considered for the housing register please apply online on our Home Choices website.

Help to find something in the Private Rented Sector

We are trying to improve access to the private rented sector by working with landlords and tenants. If you need more information please contact the Home Choices team.

Worried about paying your rent?

If you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage, please contact the Home Choices team to discuss. Alternatively, you can speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau (telephone number: 01427 810914) and Shelter (telephone number: 0808 800 4444) can provide advice to help prevent problems getting out of hand.

Rough sleeping

Our Home Choices team can also help people who are rough sleeping in West Lindsey during freezing weather. For more information please contact or visit us. Streetlink also serve to connect people sleeping rough to local services.

Out Of Hours Service

If you require assistance when we are closed, you can contact the Home Choices team on 01427 613960.

Domestic abuse

EDAN Lincs (formerly West Lincolnshire Domestic Abuse Service) provide support and assistance to women, men and children suffering or fleeing from domestic abuse.

Armed Forces

If you have been a member of the armed forces there is a range of organisations that can offer help and support.

The Lincolnshire Armed Forces Covenant is a local arrangement to ensure those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly.

SSAFA Lincolnshire are a registered charity that provide support to those who are serving or who have served in the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, British Army, Royal Air force and to their families.

Duty to Refer

Selected authorities must refer people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to local authorities. Find out more on how to do this and to help on our Duty to Refer webpage.

GOV.UK also have their own guidance regarding Duty to Refer.

Children leaving care who are under 18 year olds

If you have been in the care of the local authority there are a range of services available to help you. This can include help to get accommodation and support.

Barnardo's provide information about what assistance is available to you and details of who to contact for further advice when leaving care.

If you are living in local authority care, or were in the past, you may be entitled to additional priority for housing through us.

If you have been in care and are about to become homeless, or are homeless, and you need more help please contact the Home Choices team.

Sixteen to eighteen year olds

If you are aged between 16 and 18 and you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, an early help assessment will be completed by the Home Choices team and passed to the Early Help Team with Children's Services.

This assessment will help us to prevent you becoming homeless and assist you to return home, where this is suitable.

Prison release

If you are in prison or youth detention and will have no home on release we can assess your needs, and we will work with you and any professionals in helping you to find a home.

We can offer advice on a range of issues.

It is important for you to get in touch as soon as possible to give time for an assessment, so that housing options can be explored and accommodation found. Referrals can be submitted by the prison resettle team via our Duty to Refer webpage.

Hospital discharge

If you are in hospital and will be unable to return home because of your health, it may be possible for your home to be adapted to help you to stay there. Please contact Wellbeing Lincs who may be able to assist.

If you have no place to return to when you're discharged from hospital, Home Choices can assess your housing and support needs, and work with you — and any professionals — to ensure accommodation is available for you when you are well enough to leave the hospital.

It is important to make contact as soon as possible to allow time for assessments to be completed and accommodation to be identified. Please contact us on 01427 676676 or ask a professional to enter your details using the ALERT portal.

Physical difficulties in your home

Equipment and adaptations

If you are struggling to live in your home because of an injury or long term illness: equipment and adaptations in your home could help you to live in your own home independently.

Wellbeing Lincs may be able to assist with small adaptations should you need them.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home, such as:

  • to widen doors and install ramps
  • to improve access to rooms and facilities — such as installing stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • to provide a heating system suitable to your needs
  • to adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Find out more about Disabled Facilities Grants online or call 01427 676676.

If you feel you need to move because your home isn't suitable any more because of your health issues, you can register for a property within the social sector via West Lindsey Home Choice.

Severe Weather Emergency Protocol

Severe Weather Emergency Protocol is a voluntary process put in place by housing authorities to ensure that people sleeping rough are not at risk of harm or death during periods of extreme cold or severe weather.

Our joint guide as part of the Lincolnshire Homelessness Strategic Partnership can be downloaded as a PDF.

Lincolnshire Sever Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) guide.