Reporting a dead animal

We will remove dead animals found on the public highway (roads, pavements and open spaces). This includes wild animals such as deer, badgers and foxes as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

Please note that we cannot remove dead domestic pets from homes or from private land.


Where possible, we record details of all domestic animals that we remove. If your family pet is missing, and you suspect it may have been involved in an accident, please contact us. When we remove domestic animals such as a cat or dog, we will try to identify and inform the owner from a collar or microchip. We will store domestic animals in a freezer for a period of time while this process takes place in order to give the owner the opportunity to re-claim their pet.


The council is not permitted to remove dead livestock. However, we would ask that you report this matter to us if the animal is on a public highway (roads, pavements and open spaces). We will then arrange for the fallen livestock to be transported and disposed of appropriately.

If the animal belongs to a local farmer, then it is their responsibility to transport and dispose of any such fallen livestock.

button | Report a dead animal
text | Reporting a dead animal

Report a car accident with an animal

If you have an accident with any of the following animals you must stop and report it to the police whether it is killed or injured.

  • dogs
  • horses
  • cows
  • pigs
  • goats
  • sheep
  • donkeys and mules

Lost dogs

If your dog is missing you can contact our Customer Services Team to see if we have had a report of the dog being found. We can also put you in touch with the contracted kennels to see if they have picked it up, or if anyone has taken it directly there. This increases the chances of being quickly reunited.

contact | Customer services
Customer services

West Lindsey District Council
Marshall's Yard
DN21 2NA
United Kingdom