I own an empty property
Benefits of Bringing Empty Homes Back into Use
There are many benefits to bringing empty homes back into use which can be recognised by the owner, local residents, businesses, the local authority, property developers and the community as a whole. These include:
- A vital resource is retained and maintained.
- The owner will receive income from rent or sale.
- Local residents have an increased choice of homes.
- Vandalism and crime is decreased and the property is made safe.
- The area becomes more attractive increasing trade for local businesses as well as increasing house values and sales.
- Reduction in dangerous or unsightly properties presenting a risk to the community.
- Reducing carbon emissions associated with building new properties.
- Opportunities for increasing the number of affordable housing, and housing the homeless.
- Reducing the cost to owners in insurance and maintenance.
- Increased security from squatters and misuse.
What to do now
If you would like more information, or would just like to talk with the council’s Empty Property Officer, please call 01427 675187 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Empty Homes Loan Fund
The National Empty Homes Loan fund ends this year and the scheme is now full. Please seek advice from an independent financial advisor on alternative market lending sources.
Groundwork Empty Homes Leasing Scheme
The Groundwork empty homes leasing scheme has funding to repair and let long term empty homes in high housing need areas of the district. Please do not delay as the scheme ends in March 2015.
Nacro Housing Resettlement Service
Nacro is a registered social landlord with substantial experience of providing supported housing and resettlement services to offenders and people at risk of offending. They are looking for one and two bedroom properties, in a good lettable condition, in the Gainsborough area. They will lease ready to let properties from owners for move on accommodation for their service users, taking responsibility for finding tenants and for the day to day management of the tenancy. There is no minimum time empty to be eligible for this scheme.
Please see the scheme leaflet on the download tab and contact the Empty Property Officer on 01427 675187 to be put in contact with Nacro.