I live near an empty property
The Impact of Empty Homes
Long term empty properties can have a large impact on the local community, this can include:
- Reduction in the value of the property and the neighbouring properties.
- Additional costs in renovation as the property deteriorates over time.
- Environmental health risks from vermin and waste.
- Hazards to the public through unsafe structures.
- Focal points for illegal and anti social behaviour such as fly tipping, vandalism and arson.
- A strain on other agencies such as Fire and Rescue and Police.
- A wasted resource when so many people are in need of housing.
- Increased risk of squatters.
- Increased insurance costs when unoccupied.
If you live near a property which you know to be empty, please contact our Empty Property Officer on 01427 675187 or email email@example.com .
Crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers highlights its determination to continue its work in tackling metal thieves in Leicestershire and the East Midlands. Please see the video on the websites tab. Metal theft costs the UK economy £770 million every year. If you live near an empty property and witness metal theft taking place, please report it to the Police, or anonymously to Crimestoppers.